02 May, 2019

To the Caribbean and Back Part 2

I want you to take a close look at these two pictures and tell me what you see. At first glance, they might seem basically the same. Both have the same people in them, everyone is wearing the same smiles, and everyone looks the same. Aside from different clothing and a different location, there is nothing hugely different about these two pictures. But the truth is there is a difference, a rather astounding one. A difference that not everyone can spot but which makes a huge difference once you see it.

Now before you start doubting your childhood I Spy skills, I will tell you that the difference isn't actually visible in either picture. The only difference between the two pictures is the thoughts and attitudes of the people in them. The first picture was taken a few months before we all went to Trinidad and the second was taken the last day of the trip. In that time, everyone changed drastically, not in appearance but in mind and soul. Our trip to Trinidad changed all of us, hopefully for the better.

In all honesty, as I stepped onto our first plane in Green Bay three weeks ago, I thought that my life was ending. Up until the night before the Trinidad Team left, it hadn't hit me that we were leaving the US and going to another country to do missions work. Of course, I knew that this was the plan the entire time, but before that last night my mind just hadn't comprehended what we were doing. As soon as I realized this, though, I felt terrible. I began to panic and wondered if I would be up to the challenge. I was certain that I would hate the experience and that I would come home shell-shocked and absolutely drained. If you read my other blog you know that I have wanted to do missions work for a long time now. But three weeks ago I began to wonder if missions really was the right path for me. I was terrified that I would step off the plane into Trinidad and instantly know that missions wasn't for me. I had no idea what I would do if that happened. But there was nothing I could do about the trip at that point so I took a deep breath and resigned myself to my "horrible fate."

And I am happy to say that I survived. Not only did I survive, but I had perhaps the best experience of my life. Throughout the entire week, God began working on my heart; he removed all the negativity I got on the plane with, he opened my eyes to the endless possibilities for ministry in Trinidad, and he helped me realize that the world really is a big place with limitless adventures to go on.

In Trinidad, the team got the opportunity to try so many different things. We prepared food for the homeless and helped pass it out, we joined in worship with the Trini people during a three-night youth group that we helped to lead, and we were able to visit with and pray for a few people at a local hospital. With every new day and every new experience, my heart grew more and more attached to Trinidad. I felt a kindred spirit with the Trinidad team and the Trinis we worked with during the week. I had never felt more at home in a situation before. Even though I had had doubts, and even though I was afraid that missions wasn't right for me, God knew what he had planned for me. A passion for missions which had only been a tiny spark sprung to life as a blazing hot fire, igniting something within me. Over the course of our week in Trinidad, I learned so many things about myself and my team; we all grew to love each other and we all consider ourselves family now. I know now that none of this would have happened if I hadn't gone on the trip and I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to go.

So much happened over the course of one week. I have so many stories to tell and I wish I could fit them all into this blog post. But I think that if I tell one story at a time it will be more interesting. And it will give my readers something to look forward to. The world is a vast, open, wonderful place. I can't wait to tell you all about my adventures in it.


Photo Credit: Denise Wadzinski, Jeff Hollenbeck

No comments: